The joy of size: the practice and pitfalls of long-form journalism
Workshop Mentor – Ian Jack
The long form journalism workshop by Ian Jack, Guardian columnist and former editor of Granta and Sunday Independent, includes interactive group sessions, one-to-one sessions, and general lectures on narrative non-fiction. In these sessions, students read, critique, and discuss articles written by them in long form, Students are required to prepare for the sessions by reading selected examples of good long form writing. In one-to-one sessions with Ian Jack, students are given feedback individually to improve their writing skills.
Now Age Storytelling
Workshop Mentor – Devadas Rajaram
- Social media storytelling with smartphones
- Interactive storytelling with images
- Interactive video storytelling
- Interactive timelines
- Drone, VR and AR storytelling
Skills you need to thrive in an online newsroom
Workshop Mentor – Sriram Srinivasan
- From tracking news to publishing news
- Making sure our story reaches the reader
- Measuring journalistic work, and the business of online news
- Designing digital news products
- Technology and digital journalism
Workshop Mentor – R. Narayan Kumar
- Cinematography Overview
- Imaging for Fiction
- Aesthetics of shots
- Shots & Composition
- Lighting Indoor & Outdoor
- Visual narration Ideas & Scripting,
- Sequencing & Sound work
- Review & Analysis followed by Film Screening /interaction with a Cinematographer
Workshop Mentor – Suchitra Girish
- Insight into various genres of podcasts – news, music, documentaries, sport etc.
- Strategically engaging with audiences
- Effective research – the Holy Grail of good programming
- Developing narratives for different styles of podcasts
- Interviewing techniques
- Structuring, recording and editing your podcast
Workshop Mentor – Srinivasan Ramani
- How to write a data story – for print, online and the mobile medium.
- Data interpretation and analysis
- Data visualisation – How to visualise data using basic charting
- Combining data analysis and data visualisation using Tableau
- Basics of data scraping using Python/ Beautiful Soup/ Scraperwiki.
Travel Writing and Photography
Workshop Mentor – Ravikiran Rangaswamy
- Introduction to Photography and learning to use a DSLR camera
- Importance of Light and Colour in Photography
- Framing/Composition in Photography
- As a writer and a photographer what are the factors that need to be kept in mind while doing a photo feature/photo story for magazines?
- How to write a pitch/ proposal for a story
- How to approach different organisations or magazines for pitching the story?